Warkworth Lilac Festival
Juried Photography Show & Sale
May 30th and 31st, 2020
Overview and Important Dates
- The Contest opens for online Registration, Photo Submissions and Fee Payments on March 1st, 2020 and closes on May 15, 2020 at midnight.
- The judge will select 15 photos across all Categories as Finalist Photos.
- Finalist Photos are printed and mounted by a printer selected by the WLF Photo Show Committee to ensure consistent print quality, print size, and matting size. Photos are unframed.
- The Judge will review the mounted prints for selection and award of Contest Prizes.
- The Photo Show Gallery of Finalist Photographs will be on display at The Centre & Main Chocolate Co., 50 Centre Street, Warkworth during the Festival Opening Weekend, Saturday May 30th and Sunday May 31st, 2020.
- Prize winners will be announced and prizes awarded at 11AM on Saturday at the Gallery. All Photo Show participants, family and friends are invited.
- People's Choice Award - All Warkworth Lilac Festival visitors to the Gallery may vote on the 'People's Choice Award'. Counting of the votes begins thirty minutes prior to the close of the show, and the winner is announced just prior to the show closing at 4:00 P.M.
- Finalists and winners are awarded their mounted prints. Prints may be picked up at 4PM at the Close of the Show, and not later than June 30, 2020. Prints not claimed by this date become Lilac Festival property.
- This Juried Competition is open to all photographers.
- Photographers may enter the contest under ONE of the two Categories: Adults, or Youth age 18 and under.
- Contestants must register online and submit digital photo images to the Photo Show websitse for judging.
- The Registration Fee for Adults is $30. There is no fee for participants 18 years and younger entering the Youth
category, but youth 18 years and younger wishing to enter the Open and/or the Lilac categories are required to pay the $30 Adult Registration fee.
- The Registration Fee must be submitted online or by cheque (mailed to WLF Photo Show, PO Box 366, Warkworth, ON K0K 3K0) no later than the Contest close.
- Open: Adult entry only. Up to three photos, on any subject
- Lilacs: Adult entry only. The Beauty of Lilacs. Up to three photos.
Youth - 18 and under
Youth entry only: Up to three photos on any subject
Adult - Open Category
Warkworth Community Service Club Award - 'Founder's Award for Excellence in Photography'- First Prize: $250.
Weaver Family Funeral Homes Award - Second Prize: $150.
Warkworth Farm Supply Award - Third Prize: $100.
Adult - Lilac Category
The General - Curated Eclectic Goods - First Prize: $100.
The Natural - Lilac Second Prize: $50.
TBD - Lilac Third Prize: $50.
Campbellford Lioness Club Award - First Prize: $100.
Jeanine Back Talk Cafe - Second Prize: $50.
Snapshots One Hour Photo - Third Prize: $25.
Trentmendous! and The Village Pantry - People's Choice: $100.
- There are no date restrictions on when the photograph was taken.
- There is no 'Altered Reality' category. The photographer should perform only basic manipulation to enhance or correct their image, and should not change the image in any fundamental way. For the WLF Photo Show's purposes, basic manipulation may include cropping, straightening, exposure and colour balance adjustments only.
- Photo entries may be uploaded to the WLF Juried Photo Show website by Contest Registrants at any time after the Contest opens.
- Each photo entry must be uploaded in high resolution JPEG format as a print-ready digital file with a minimum dimension of 3000px long size. The printer strongly recommends a minimum dimension long size of 3500px with an aspect ratio between 2:3 and 11:14 for best printing results.
- Photos must be submitted exactly as intended to be judged. The Photo Show will make no alterations, rotations or adjustments to the photograph after submission.
- Photos must be submitted anonymously for judging. Photos with watermarks or other identifying marks will be removed from the competition without any notice to the contestant.
- All images must be taken by the registrant. Once an image has been accepted as an entry by the Show it may not be re-entered in a different year or in another Category.
- The Show reserves the right to ask for the original, unedited, out of camera file for any entry.
- If you have any questions use the Contact Us form on the website.
Judging of Photos
- The Judge selects Finalists based on the submitted anonymous digital images.
- Criteria for selection include: Overall Impact, Creative and Artistic Merit, Composition, and Technical Merit.
- Finalist photos are professionally printed to an 11"x14" or 10"x15" size, whichever best suits the photograph, and then matted to a standard 16" x 20" size.
- The Judge makes the final decision for Prizes based on the professional print, as well as on the judging scores of submitted digital prints.
- The Judge's decisions are final.
- Images are credited to the photographer, and Copyright remains with the photographer.
- After the judging has been completed, the winners are identified by a nameplate, showing the Photographer's Name, Photograph Title, and Sale Price.
- The Warkworth Lilac Festival reserves the right to display digital copies of the winning and finalist photos in future website and promotional applications, with full credit given to the photographer.
- By submitting photographs to the Warkworth Lilac Festival Photo Show, you are declaring your understanding and acceptance of these rules.